Shy Girls - 'Salt' Marketing Drivers
What You Should Know
- Salt is the debut full-length album from Shy Girls (née Dan Vidmar).
- Album was recorded and produced entirely by Vidmar.
- Project has widespread support from Complex, Pitchfork, Billboard, Stereogum, Hilly Dilly, Vogue, The Fader, The Guardian, Hype Beast, Spotify, Apple Music, Beats 1, Noon Pacific, and more.
- Sold out headlining shows in primary markets like New York, San Francisco, Portland, Los Angeles and Chicago.
- National support tours with major label acts such as HAIM, Little Dragon and Maxwell.
- Prominent features on tracks by producers like Cyril Hahn (“Perfect Form” has 1.5 million views via the Majestic Casual Youtube channel) and Odesza (“All We Need” has 5.4 million Soundcloud plays and 6.2 million Youtube views).
- Red Bull Sound Select artist.
Acclaimed bedroom singer/producer Dan Vidmar, a.k.a. Shy Girls, presents his anticipated debut album, Salt.
For an LP likely to be placed in the R&B aisle, Salt is noticeably impressionistic. At times it bears the painterly, frank essence of a Blue/Court and Spark Joni Mitchell. At others, it strides toward the progressive and cinematic. There is a striking viscerality in the crashing percussion and detuned piano of “I Am Only A Man” and in the hypnotic woodwind outro of “What If I Can.” The mournful guitar dressing “Watercolor Dreams” seems to nod to Ennio Morricone -- like a future-Western ballad. And even in the stark ballads that bookend the album, Vidmar delivers swelling sentiment fit for the screen.
Despite its sonic magnitude, Salt never surrenders its intimacy. Salt was self-produced by Vidmar, who also played and recorded the majority of its instrumentation. The beautiful result is a testament to craftsmanship executed almost single-handedly by one author. Rife with tender imperfections, at its core Vidmar’s heartrending vocals are still as silken as ever, as the singer reaches new heights.
Lyrically, Vidmar explores the ambiguous territory in which many so-called “millennials” find themselves, hovering somewhere amidst a pre-internet nostalgia and post-recession tech absorption. He takes an honest and unflinching look at the tension between growth and decay, existential-level FOMO, and the nagging inertia of time.
Shy Girls first came to attention in 2013 with his slow burning, sax-tinged “Under Attack,” followed by the release of his buzzed-about Timeshare EP and subsequent 4WZ mixtape. Vidmar has collaborated with artists such as Cyril Hahn, Tei Shi, Rome Fortune, Antwon, Junglepussy, and ODESZA, and has toured with HAIM, Little Dragon, and Maxwell. Salt is his debut full-length album and will be released on Jan. 20, 2017, via Hit City U.S.A.
- "Vidmar has refined his ethereal, lush sounds into something magnetic and undeniable." — Complex
- "Emotionally raw." - The Fader
- "[Shy Girls'] tracks [...] have a certain intimacy about them that is often lacking amongst his peers." — The Line of Best Fit
- "Sitting somewhere between Blood Orange on Cupid Deluxe and How To Dress Well, ['Trivial Motion'] is a lush, languorous, synth-driven testament to Vidmar's songwriting ability, and an exciting preview of the new album." — Pigeons and Planes
- "At times it can seem as though Dan Vidmar can do anything." — Clash Music
- "[Shy Girls] will have you all up in your feelings this weekend. Is your body ready to express all of these emotions?" — Nylon
- "One of our favourite releases of the year thus far" - The 405
- "A Confident, Intimate Pop Debut Album." - Pigeons & Planes
- "[Shy Girls'] debut album is the culmination of introspection, collaboration and vulnerability. Salt's release is almost too perfect, as it represents a soundtrack for undefined times." - Culture Collide
- "Soaking with smooth and sophisticated power ballads supported by a resilient force of production." — Nylon
- "Salt stuns with its moody, stirring energy and existential lyrical motifs about living in a technologically-saturated age." - Issue
- "Salt is a marriage of lyrical nostalgia and complex emotion with post-recession tech aptitude, throughout which the magnetic intimacy of Vidmar's vocals never wavers." - The Line of Best Fit
- "Salt is nothing if not a focused work." - Press Play
- 588,000 monthly listeners on Spotify
- Spotify support: "Chill Vibes," "Alternative R&B," "Feel Good Dinner," "Silk Sheets" and more playlists.
- "Trivial Motion" - 1.4 million Spotify streams
- "I Am Only A Man" - 1 million Spotify streams
- "Watercolor Dreams" - 1. 1 million Spotify streams
- “Still Not Falling” music video - 222,000 views
- “When I Say I Love U” (Saux remix) - 7.6 million views (La Belle Musique) + 2 million views (Majestic Casual)
- “Arrest Me” ft. Tei Shi - 528,000 views (Majestic Casual)
- “Second Heartbeat” - 6 million streams on Spotify, 183,000 views on YouTube
- TIDAL Rising album feature
- Facebook likes / 25,000
- Twitter followers / 5,300
- Instagram followers / 4,500
- Shazam followers / 70,000
08/26: Camp RAHH - Port Orchard, WA
09/21: Constellation Room - Santa Ana, CA
09/22: Life Is Beautiful Festival - Las Vegas, NV
11/08: Subterranean - Chicago, IL
11/09: Marble Bar - Detroit, MI
11/10: Double Happiness - Columbus, OH
11/11: The High Watt - Nashville, TN
11/12: Outland Ballroom - Springfield, MO
11/14: Sidewinder - Austin, TX
11/15: Three Links - Dallas, TX
11/19: Festival Corona Capital - Mexico City, MX